Winston Churchill, legendary speaker and leader, addresses a difficult audience during WWll.
- Private or group coaching; workshop.
- Refreshing Ideas: Apply the mindset and skill evoked by this training to an area where fresh thinking is wanted.
What does it mean to express yourself fully; to be compelling when you speak?
The core work of Genuine Communications is to enhance power in spoken communication. Power comes from using all of yourself – your intelligence, imagination, emotions, physical body and desire to connect with others.
The Voice of Leadership and Innovation (VLI) is a coaching that uses simple tools to accomplish this and, in doing so, develops your ability to lead and innovate...
See list of skill developments below.
What happens in a VLI session?
- Exercises to enhance relaxation and openness: presence and sensory awareness exercises; vocal/physical warm-up.
- Detailed approaches to reading aloud or telling a simple personal story. Rigorous attention is paid to clarity, emotional aliveness and rapport at the moment of utterance.
- (Optional) Refreshing Ideas: Apply the mindset and skill evoked by this training to an area where fresh thinking is wanted.
How does this work?
By reading aloud or telling personal stories, we learn how to bring words to life. For example, look at this quotation:
|"Keep your face to the sunshine and you can’t see the shadows."|
Helen Keller, 1880-1968; American writer, lecturer..
Read that aloud a few times…… Did you "get it"; really understand it?
In order to speak this quote well, you have to use your powers of visualization and emotion to sense the images and find their life. There is the image of bright sun and a face that looks at that sun. How do you experience it in your minds eye? Do you see a face or is your experience subjective, looking out from your own self? Is the sun to the right, left or straight ahead? Perhaps there is a sense of warmth from the sun shining on that face. Do you feel it? Shadows are naturally formed. Where are they? Can you see their shapes?
This quote refers to the human ability to be positive and optimistic, rather than negative or depressed. In order to have true power when you speak this quote, you have to contact your emotional relationship to these issues. You have to remember (at the moment of utterance) what it feels like to be both confident and disillusioned. You have to feel that or be working toward that end.
The only moment that counts in speaking is the moment of utterance. You must be fully present at that time (with all of yourself) or your communication is partial.
Einstein, the archetypal innovator, lecturing on pure gravitation.
Working in this way creates a communication mindset that is fertile and creative. Clients can now apply this mindset (either with facilitation or on their own) to a situation where fresh thinking is desired. Genuine Communications looks for Refreshing Ideas in two ways:
- Old ideas can be “refreshed” by looking at them in a very detailed way. Questions are asked: What is this? Who is involved? Where does it take place? What feelings are involved? What is the history? Do I really, fully understand this situation? Am I aware of the emotional dynamics between people and in myself as well as the facts?
- Once the situation has been re-identified and re-invigorated, it becomes possible for a new or “refreshing idea” to emerge. New ideas may be completely new or a variation on existing elements. What matters is that the situation moves. However, movement is not guaranteed. No truly creative process carries a guarantee of success. But we can always be successful at the process and receive value from that.
Voice of Leadership Workshop
How to Speak Effectively
Vivid and Spontaneous Words.
Leadership Skills Developed
- Listen with greater patience and understanding.
- Deliver better presentations and speeches.
- Improve sales and customer service through better speaking and listening.
- Improve morale through better rapport.
- Manage stress more effectively through learning about emotional energy.
- Inspire trust and respect through bold and sensitive communication.
- Develop vision.
Innovation Skills Developed
- Enhance imagination and the ability to visualize ideas.
- Develop intuition.
- Be more willing to take risks.
- Communicate your thinking more clearly.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
"Through personal example, direct interaction and endless communications, the leader fosters the attitudes and spirit that a high-performance organization requires. Reduced to short phrases, the messages can sound simplistic and clichéd: your work matters; we"re all on the same team; the customer pays our salaries. But brought to life by a true leader, they are uplifting and inspirational. There is no substitute for sincerity."
Michael Hammer, Beyond Reengineering: How the Process-Centered Organization is Changing Our Work and Our Lives.